Texas Tobacco Enforcement – Legislation and Regulations
- Regulatory Information
- Cigarette, Cigar and Tobacco Products Regulation Frequently Asked Questions
- Regulatory Forms for Retailers
- Tax Forms
- SB 55 made it illegal to sell tobacco products to minors.
- Rule 3.1203 Vendors may be certified to train employers and employees engaged in the retail sales of cigarettes or tobacco products.
Health & Safety Code § 161.085 – Notification of Employees and Agents
(a) Each retailer shall notify each individual employed by that retailer who is to be engaged in retail sales of cigarettes or tobacco products that state law:
- (1) prohibits the sale or distribution of cigarettes or tobacco products to any person who is younger than 18 years of age as provided by Section 161.082 and that a violation of that section is a Class C misdemeanor and
- (2) requires each person who sells cigarettes or tobacco products at retail or by vending machine to post a warning notice as provided by Section 161.084, requires each employee to ensure that the appropriate sign is always properly displayed while that employee is exercising the employee's duties, and provides that a violation of Section 161.084 is a Class C misdemeanor.
(b) The notice required by Subsection (a) must be provided within 72 hours of the date an individual begins to engage in retail sales of tobacco products. The individual shall signify that the individual has received the notice required by Subsection (a) by signing a form stating that the law has been fully explained, that the individual understands the law, and that the individual, as a condition of employment, agrees to comply with the law.
(c) Each form signed by an individual under this section shall indicate the date of the signature and the current address and social security number of the individual. The retailer shall retain the form signed by each individual employed as a retail sales clerk until the 60th day after the date the individual has left the employer's employ.
(d) A retailer required by this section to notify employees commits an offense if the retailer fails, on demand of a peace officer or an agent of the comptroller, to provide the forms prescribed by this section. An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
(e) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (d) to show proof that the employee did complete, sign, and date the forms required by Subsections (b) and (c). Proof must be shown to the comptroller or an agent of the comptroller not later than the seventh day after the date of a demand under Subsection (d).
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 671, § 1.01, eff. Jan. 1, 1998. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1141, § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
Comptroller Information about Tobacco Permits: (800) 862-2260
Seller Training Certification: (800) 531-5441, ext. 6-5946
Tax Enforcement Issues: (800) 388-2883