Texas Tobacco Enforcement –
The sale of cigarettes and tobacco to persons under 18 is prohibited, and it is up to Texas retailers to properly I.D. customers before selling to them. Many large retailers use seller trainers (known as “vendors” in state statute) to train their employees engaged in the sale of cigarettes or tobacco products. A seller trainer’s program must meet minimum curriculum requirements established by the Comptroller (see Rule 3.1203 for more details on the training curriculum), and the Comptroller must also certify the seller trainer.
Follow these state guidelines for seller-training certification:
- Review state requirements and guidelines for developing a curriculum. (See Rule 3.1203 for complete curriculum details.)
- Submit to the Comptroller the completed curriculum with the seller-training certification.
- The Comptroller's office will review qualified applications and certify vendors interested in providing a seller training program.
If additional assistance is needed, or for questions, call 1-800-531-5441, Ext. 6-5946.
Seller Training Forms
- AP-192 Application for seller-training certification (PDF, 68.0K)
- 69-203 Seller Training Program Change Request (PDF, 9.3K)
- 69-204 Seller Training Roster (PDF, 19.1K)
- 69-205 Seller Training Report (PDF, 13.4K)